Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Random Thoughts; TV edition

Today I figured I would talk a little TV and let you fine readers in on some of the shows I enjoy, along with a few I despise. So with that, buckle your seat belt, hands in the car at all times and por favor, Manténgase alejado de las puertas!


Yawn of the dead

- I know I am in the minority here, but I am pretty well over the Zombie craze, I think I was done a few years ago with Zombie land, needless to say, I find the walking dead vastly underwhelming.
But being that their is such a lack of anything watchable these days, I watch same as you, I just continue to be unimpressed. The story is bland and contrived, the makeup and gore effects are great but that's never really been my thing and they seem to kill off any and every character I can remotely give a shit about.
All that shows does for me is prove that even with a severe lack of motor skills, zombies still found a way to jump the shark.


Six Seasons and a Movie!

- Chevy Chase recently quit the brilliant show "Community", after pretty much whining until NBC Fired the shows soul in creator/head writer Dan Harmon and essentially torpedoed the most original and clever comedy since Arrested Development, just because he felt his character didn't get enough attention.
Way to go Chevy, the fucking baby boomers find a way to ruin any party that isn't all about them.
Now what may be the last truly original show to exist is doomed to a very messy final season that, due to network fuckery, is already mired in obscure time slots and no promotional help.
I realize the masses never embrace shows that are this subversive and thoroughly layered in their humor, but there are plenty of shows that survived much longer on cult following fumes.
Hell, the Office lost it's fire around season five yet it's had Four seasons since.
30 Rock has been essentially a repetitive and lazy mess since the end of it's third season yet it got four more seasons too. Meanwhile, Community only seemed to get better as it went along, becoming a standard for new levels of parody and the reason the phrase "Meta humor" exists.
Sure Harmon could have lost his comedic fastball and the show could have fizzled had he stayed in charge for a fourth season.
But now we will never know and there will soon be even less worthwhile programming on network TV.
Community deserves at least the same support that The Office and 30 Rock received.
Also to further my foothold on this soapbox,  if shows like Two and a Half Men (which I hate) and The Big Bang Theory (which I feel thrives on what is simply a more superficial level of Community's style of humor and parody, I.E. Dumbed the hell down) can find such a massive audience, Community should be allowed the same chance to find said audience.
 But then again, they are on NBC so it's not like there is a way ANY show can succeed on that joke of a network.



Camping out

- In contrast to the walking dead, I have discovered a very pleasant surprise in American Horror Story.
They go absolutely full tilt and way the hell over the top with what they are doing, I love that in a show.
Sadistic Nazi doctors, Demonically possessed nuns, seemingly supernatural serial killers, alien abductions, strange cannibalistic creatures of a lovecraftian persuasion and an old timey, creepy as hell mental ward, how can a fan of horror not love this?



It's Over....Because he says so.

- In a few months, the best show (In my opinion) on television Breaking Bad will come to an end.
Never has there been a show of such rich and unflinching character examination, where the characters you like and identify with and root for at one point will cause you utterly despise them and curse their names as time goes on. The "Anti-Hero" is certainly not a new concept and Television is littered with various versions of them today, but Walter White is a special kind of character that I feel stands apart from even that archetype. It is a show that even though I know it must end the way it is ending and that it must end badly (at least for Walter) the kid/geek in me never really wants to see it come to a close.



My dark passenger wants this ride to end.

Dexter used to be a very good show that was aptly adapted from a fantastic series of novels.
The novels still thrive and keep us intrigued by the world of the serial murdering, incidental vigilante that is Dexter Morgan. But the show has long since lost it's luster, yet it keeps on.
The show basically peaked in season four and has been spiraling downward into a vat of boring subplots, convoluted character intertwining and less and less of Dexter doing his Dexterly deeds.
Yet another case of a show having gone too long beyond it's expiration date, now we have to watch Dexter strapped to a table of a different sort so we can watch the slow, uninteresting demise of his show.



When former governors attack!

As a rule, I detest reality television. 
But there are two shows that managed to have gotten their hooks into me, one is Jesse Ventura's Conspiracy Theory. 
For one, I love the information he is getting out into the airwaves, a lot of the things he talks about are hidden but present dangers to our society and the population should be woken up and made aware of them as distinct possibilities. As a truth seeker and one who has what I like to call "initiated eyesight", it gives me hope that the people will wake the fuck up and things may change somehow.
On the other hand, Jesse Ventura is an overly theatrical, clearly petty man who is so obviously consumed with his grudge against the government that unceremoniously black balled him that he almost cancels out the weight of the information with his ridiculous theatrics and his ever present wrestler cadence.
He makes it so that all of this information may as well be presented to us by Bozo the clown, which of course  renders all of it useless in the end.



Do you wanna be a pirate or do you wanna send your daughter to college?!

These are the words I heard during the show "Bar Rescue" where the fish faced, cantankerous and loud host was screaming at this bar owner who was obsessed with her pirate themed bar and her dream of pretending to be a pirate 24/7. Now she certainly deserves no pity, she was a million bucks in debt and living in her mom's basement with her daughter and husband because she insisted on playing make believe instead of making money, I just wanted to explain why this stupid, predictable reality show got it's hooks into me.
I cant seem to get enough of watching this obnoxious, Walter Matthau lookalike yell at loser bar owners and workers. When he starts making things better and improvement ensues is usually my Que to exit the episode.




This is a good place to end here, I hope you enjoy my not so humble opinions and thoughts, and feel free to pipe up about anything you feel like piping up about, agree or disagree, either way I welcome your thoughts as you welcome mine.








-

No comments:

Post a Comment