Saturday, September 29, 2012

Dogs




Being that Dog week has just passed and I have been  too ill to write this past week, I figure I will talk a bit about man’s best friend to get myself warmed up to catch up on my blog entries today.
In honor of the many wonderful canines I have had the joy of bonding with, I will begin this entry by profiling some of my favorite four legged friends.


KING

A pure white samoy, king was the first dog I ever bonded with as a child, unfortunately he was stolen before I was old enough to remember him very firmly, but my parents told me that He and I were inseparable.
Apparently the dog would even carry me around when he saw I wanted to venture somewhere and was very wary of anyone who approached me, even my own parents at times.
Now while that may be a bit much, I think we all would welcome anything life form that cared for us to such a degree, I wish I had a chance to know what I missed out on, cursed infantile darkness.


DOOBIE

Now losing King had left a big void in my old man’s heart, one that he was not eager to fill and simply replace with another dog.
But finally when I was Fourteen, he decided it was time for a new family dog in the form of an adorable red chow he named Doobie after what he claims was a play off of Scooby Doo (Yeah, I know I didn’t buy it either).
Doobie was a good dog, very gentle and protective of the family, but he was devoutly my father’s dog so a bond was hard to forge beyond that.
But still he was a fine animal.


BEAR (A.K.A. Tralfaz)
My mother brought this adorable troublemaker into our family as result of her inability to mind her own business when it came to how people treated their animals (we acquired many animals, as well as enemies due to this habit of hers).
A snowy white chow with a nubby tail, the dog I fought to originally name Tralfaz (in regard to his situation being similar to that of Astro from the Jetsons) but was shot down fervently in favor of the simplistic “Bear” was the liveliest, most expressive and sweet albeit fatalistically stupid and detrimentally untamable animals I have ever met.
He was impossible not to love even though he would test that notion with you to no end.
I watched this dog endure being slammed into head on by a car and walk away without so much as a scratch, he was a very “special” animal indeed.

GRUNT
This dog has taught me just how bad a rap pit bulls get, if you raise them properly they are one of the best kinds of family pets you can own.
Now of course if you raise them like monsters, they will certainly be monstrous but this is true with any life form, isn’t it?
Grunt, a big ugly brown bastard is hands down one of the sweetest and smartest dogs one can own. He protects, he plays, he communicates and he understands.
To his family he is a gigantic baby, to outsiders he is not to be trifled with, he is a truly a wonderful animal and almost the greatest dog I have ever had the pleasure of knowing.




PHOEBE
Lastly but certainly not leastly, this brings me to my second child, the most wonderful dog I have ever had the good fortune of bonding with, Phoebe.
I always had a foolish, preconceived notion regarding small dogs, that they were standoffish, disagreeable and generally unpleasant.
Thankfully, a little reddish brown (or brownish red) half Chihuahua/half Yorkie came into my life a couple of years ago that changed my perceptions entirely.
Her prime devotion to my girlfriend at the time was something that proved invaluable to her in a very, very dark period.
That little dog still lights up her life in ways no human could ever hope to and whenever I see her she has the very same effect on me.
She would be at my partners side until the instant she would leave, then she would attach herself at my most welcome side, she would always seem to understand everything and anything said to her and responded appropriately.
Every time she sees me, her little tiny tail shakes happily and her big brown eyes grow wide with excitement, then she lets me pick her up so that she can drench me with kisses and maul me excitedly with her paws.
In regard to dog week past, I can think of no finer example to put on display than that adorable little canine friend of mine.




No comments:

Post a Comment